Fastest on Ice: electric car E-RA
Nokian Tyres Fastest on Ice also with an electric car: NewWorld Record 252.09 km/h
Test driver Janne Laitinen from Nokian Tyres reached a speed of 252.09 km/h (156.64 mph) in the E-RA electric car on the ice of Lake Ukonjärvi in Inari, Finland. The record, achieved on 17 March by the world’s northernmost tyre manufacturer and the Helsinki Metropolia University of Applied Sciences’ high-tech E-RA (Electric RaceAbout) vehicle, is unique.
The top speed of this uncompromising sports car with a total of 280-kW electric motor reached over 260 km/h (161.59 mph) in the freezing weather. The relentless grip and stable handling necessary at extreme speeds were ensured by regular production Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 studded tyres (225/40R18).
- Testing in demanding conditions forms an essential part of our winter tyre development. We feel that the record and co-operation in the E-RA project are great ways to gain new experience and continue our progress at the peak of development. This is a true source of inspiration for developers of tyres, whose greatest challenges include optimising the safety characteristics and low rolling resistance, which greatly affects the range of electric vehicles, says Matti Morri, Technical Customer Service manager for Nokian Tyres. Read more >>
Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7
Unparalleled winter properties and excellent driving comfort are combined in the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 winter tyre. This studded winter tyre presents extremely good grip on ice, snow and wet surfaces. Read more >>
- A winning ecological duo: The ERA electric sports car and Nokian tyres
- Nürburgring lap record for electric cars: Electric RaceAbout on Nokian eco tyres (4.10.2011)
- Ecological driving fun with the electric sports car ERA on Nokian eco tyres at e-miglia rally (11.8.2011)
- Nokian Tyres Fastest on Ice: New World Record 331,61 km/h! (6.3.2011)