Tue November 11 08:44 am 2014 in category Product news
Nokian Tyres and Arctic Trucks teaming up to master the harshest winter conditions
Arctic Trucks and Nokian Tyres have joined forces, enabling special 4x4 vehicle owners to handle the most demanding winter conditions in the world. New Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2 AT35 (315/70 R17) special winter tyre is the biggest heavy 4x4 vehicles designed Hakkapeliitta winter tyre ever.
Both originating from the far north, Nokian Tyres and Arctic Trucks have enjoyed a long lasting cooperation, which recently resulted in the launch of the new Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2 AT35 tailored for hard use in rough winter conditions.
– Our similar philosophy and brand values make for a great collaboration. We work in different areas of the automotive industry, but our heritage and approach to develop high quality products are the same, says Petri Niemi, Business Manager at Nokian Tyres plc.
Nokian Tyres is the world’s northernmost tyre manufacturer. The company developed and manufactured the world’s first winter tyre in 1934. Nokian Hakkapeliitta is one of the most well-known winter tyre brand and already a legend wherever there is a true winter.
Best possible products for extreme conditions
Collaborating commercially for several years the brands have now, for the first time, joined forces to create a winter tyre specifically for special heavy 4x4 vehicles.
– We both strive to make the best possible products and working together. With Nokian know-how developing the special product and Arctic Trucks expertise testing the new Hakkapeliitta LT2 AT35, we constantly pushed each other and created g a premium heavy duty winter tyre, says Ørn Thomsen, Managing Director at Arctic Trucks Norway.
The origin of Arctic Trucks can be traced back to 1990 when Toyota in Iceland started modifying 4x4 utility and sport utility vehicles. Today Arctic Trucks are the leading professionals, specialising in conversions of various 4WD vehicles.
Frontrunner in safety
As the world's leading winter tyre specialist, a multiple test winner, and a premium brand, Nokian Tyres offers the safest tyres for northern conditions. The innovative Nokian tyres – for cars, trucks, and heavy machinery – demonstrate their high quality particularly well in snow, tough climates, and demanding driving situations.
– Nokian Hakkapeliitta is a frontrunner in safety, developed for the world’s most demanding winter conditions. We take pride in the fact that Arctic Trucks values our experience and trusts our products, says Niemi.
Special tyre for big cars
The new Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2 winter tyre combines uncompromised grip and exceptional durability. A rugged product designed for heavy-duty use in heavy 4x4 SUVs, the Hakkapeliitta LT2 moves safely and effortlessly both on icy and snow-covered Nordic and Arctic roads.
– The value of our collaboration became evident when we were testing the new tyre. Arctic Trucks’ insight and experience helped us create the new Hakkapeliitta LT2 AT35 for demanding special use, explains Niemi.
Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2 AT35 is delivered both as a studded and a non-studded tyre with 315/70 R17 dimensions. The weight of the sturdy special tyre is around 25 kilogrammes, and, when pressurised, it has a volume of over 600 litres. In the future, you might encounter this giant Hakkapeliitta in the regions near the North and South Poles.
Excellent grip, stable handling
The strong construction of the Hakkapeliitta LT2 has been optimised for the large wheel loads of SUVs, pickup type light trucks and vans alike, and to accommodate the requirements of heavy axle loads. The tailored steel belt package is especially reinforced in the shoulder area, with over 60 percent more steel than normal passenger car tyres.
– The Hakkapeliitta LT2 provides stable handling and grip reserves by means of the aggressive tread pattern in the centre area. The accentuated siping of the tread pattern improves grip on snow. The wide grooving actively removes water and slush from between the tyre and the road surface, says Niemi.
Safe and comfortably
The firm longitudinal and lateral grip is maximised by the eight rows of studs in the shoulder areas. The studs have several edges for maximising the area of contact, in turn improving the grip of the studs on slippery surfaces.
Unique winter grip and soft road contact are guaranteed by the seamless co-operation of the oriented steel studs and the droplet-shaped “Air Claw Technology” air shock absorbers on the front edges of the tread blocks. This innovation is much like the heel cushions on good running shoes: the air holes on the tyre soften and dampen the impact of the stud on the road, also reducing the vibration of the stud during road contact. The air cushion technology also reduces road wear and tyre noise, and improves stud durability.
For added comfort and safety, the tyre has the Driving Safety Indicator (DSI) and the snowflake symbol (WSI) located side by side. The Driving Safety Indicator is patented and standard equipment on all Nokian tyres. The percentages on the centre surface of the tyre present in plain terms how much of the main groove depth remains on the tread. The numbers wear out as the tyre wears down.
New Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2 AT35 - Stability and power for extreme use
Size: 315/70 R17 Sturdy special winter tyre, designed for hard use on heavy SUV-type 4x4 vehicles combines excellent grip, exceptional durability, and stable and precise handling even under the most difficult conditions.
Air Claw Technology. Excellent winter grip and driving comfort.
Sipe activators. More ice and snow grip in extreme conditions.
Abrasion protection. Less sidewall damage.
Product info: www.nokiantyres.com/winter-tyres/nokian-hakkapeliitta-lt2/
At the top of winter tyre testing: Ivalo Testing Center – White Hell 2014 http://youtu.be/UEGUTw7KHxE
World's first winter tyre with pop-out studs
How was the world's first winter tyre invented?
Comparing the world's first winter tyre to the state-of-the-art non-studded winter tyre
Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8: World record for the fastest car on ice, 335.713 km/h: www.nokiantyres.com/fastest-on-ice
Hakkapeliitta Winter Driving School – Towards safer winter motoring
Nokian Tyres plc
Business Manager Petri J. Niemi, tel. +358 10 401 7646 petrij.niemi(at)nokiantyres.com
Arctic Trucks Managing Director Arctic Trucks Norway Ørn Thomsen, tel. +47 97 51 97 51