Independent assurance report
This document is a translation of the Finnish report
To the Management of Nokian Tyres plc
We have been engaged by the Management of Nokian Tyres plc (hereafter Nokian Tyres) to provide limited assurance on corporate sustainability information from the reporting period 1. January – 31. December 2016, which has been presented on Nokian Tyres’ website on specifically indicated web pages as well as in a pdf-format report “Corporate Sustainability Report 2016” (hereafter the Corporate Sustainability Information).
Global Reporting Initiative’s Sustainability Reporting Guidelines G4 was used as the assurance criteria (hereafter GRI G4).
Inherent limitations on the engagement
The inherent limitations on accuracy and completeness in data related to the Corporate Sustainability Information are to be taken into account when reading our assurance report. The presented Corporate Sustainability Information is to be considered in connection with the explanatory information on data collection, consolidation and assessments provided by Nokian Tyres.
The Management of Nokian Tyres is responsible for the measuring, preparation and presentation of the Corporate Sustainability Information in accordance with the GRI G4.
Our responsibility is to express an independent conclusion on the Corporate Sustainability Information. We have conducted the engagement in accordance with ISAE 3000 (Revised). To the fullest extent permitted by law, we accept no responsibility to any party other than Nokian Tyres for our work, for this assurance report, or for the conclusions we have reached.
We are independent from the company according to the ethical requirements in Finland and we have complied with other ethical requirements, which apply to the engagement conducted. We apply the International Standard on Quality Control 1 (ISQC 1) and accordingly maintain a comprehensive system of quality control including documented policies and procedures regarding compliance with ethical requirements, professional standards and applicable legal and regulatory requirements.
Summary of the work performed
A limited assurance engagement consists primarily of making inquiries of persons responsible for the preparation of the Corporate Sustainability Information presented, and applying analytical and other evidence gathering procedures, as appropriate. The procedures performed in a limited assurance engagement vary in nature and timing from, and are less in extent than for, a reasonable assurance engagement and consequently the level of assurance obtained in a limited assurance engagement is substantially lower.
In our engagement we have performed the following procedures:
- Interviews with members of Nokian Tyres senior management;
- An assessment of conformity with the reporting principles of GRI G4 in the presentation of the Corporate Sustainability Information;
- An assessment of the definition of the reporting boundaries for Corporate Sustainability Information in the context of Nokian Tyres’s business operations and sector;
- An assessment of data management processes, information systems and working methods used to gather and consolidate the Corporate Sustainability Information;
- A review of the presented Corporate Sustainability Information with an assessment of information quality and reporting boundary definitions;
- Assessment of data accuracy and completeness through a review of the original documents and systems on a sample basis and;
- A site visit conducted to one of Nokian Tyres´ sites.
Based on the assurance procedures performed, nothing has come to our attention that causes us to believe that the information subject to the assurance engagement is not prepared in accordance with the GRI G4 in all material respects.
Helsinki, 15 March 2017
KPMG OY AB
Authorised Public Accountant, KHT