This document is an English translation of the original Finnish assurance report.
To the Management of Nokian Tyres plc
We have been engaged by the Management of Nokian Tyres plc (hereafter “Nokian Tyres”) to provide limited assurance on Nokian Tyres’ corporate sustainability information from the reporting period 1 Jan – 31 Dec 2015, which has been presented on Nokian Tyres’ website in a pdf-format report “Corporate Sustainability Report 2015” as well as on specifically indicated web pages (hereafter “Corporate Sustainability Information”).
The evaluation criteria used for our assurance are the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Sustainability Reporting Guidelines G4 (hereafter “Criteria”).
The Management of Nokian Tyres is responsible for the preparation and presentation of the Corporate Sustainability Information in accordance with theCriteria. The Management of Nokian Tyres is also responsible for such internal control as the Management determines is necessary to enable the preparation of Corporate Sustainability Information that is free from material misstatement, whether due to fraud or error.
Our responsibility is to carry out an engagement to express an independent conclusion on the information subject to the assurance based on the work performed. We have conducted our engagement in accordance with the International Standard on Assurance Engagements ISAE 3000. We are independent from Nokian Tyres according to the ethical requirements in Finland and we have complied with other ethical requirements, which apply to the engagement conducted. We apply the International Standard on Quality Control 1 (ISQC 1) and accordingly maintain a comprehensive system of quality control including documented policies and procedures regarding compliance with ethical requirements, professional standards and applicable legal and regulatory requirements.We do not accept or assume responsibility to anyone other than Nokian Tyres for our work, for this assurance report, or for the conclusions we have reached.
Limitations of the engagement
Data and information related to corporate sustainability are subject to inherent limitations applying to data accuracy and completeness, which are to be taken into account when reading our assurance report. The presented Corporate Sustainability Information is to be considered in connection with the explanatory information on data collection, consolidation and assessments provided by Nokian Tyres. Our assurance report is not intended for use on its own in evaluating Nokian Tyres’ performance in executing the corporate sustainability principles Nokian Tyres has defined. To assess the financial state and performance of Nokian Tyres, the audited Financial Statement of Nokian Tyres for the year ended 31 December 2015 is to be consulted.
The work performed in the engagement
Our assurance procedures are designed to obtain limited assurance on whether the Corporate Sustainability Information is presented in accordance with the Criteria in all material respects. A limited assurance engagement consists of making inquiries, primarily of persons responsible for the preparation of the Corporate Sustainability Information, and applying analytical and other evidence gathering procedures, as appropriate. The evidence gathering procedures mentioned above are more limited than for a reasonable assurance engagement, and therefore less assurance is obtained than in a reasonable assurance engagement.
In our engagement we have performed the following procedures:
- Interviews with members of the Management of Nokian Tyres to reassert our understanding of the connection between Nokian Tyres’ corporate sustainability procedures and Nokian Tyres’ business strategy and operations as well as corporate sustainability objectives;
- An assessment of the Corporate Sustainability Information’s conformity with the principles of the Criteria for defining content and reporting quality;
- An assessment of coverage of the material aspects selected for the Corporate Sustainability Information and the definition of reporting boundaries in the context of Nokian Tyres’ business operations and sector;
- An assessment of data management processes, information systems and working methods used to gather and consolidate the presented Corporate Sustainability Information, and a review of Nokian Tyres’ related internal documents;
- A comparison of the presented Corporate Sustainability Information to underlying rules of procedure, management and reporting systems as well as documentation;
- A review of the performance data and assertions presented in the Corporate Sustainability Information, and an assessment of information quality and reporting boundary definitions from the reporting period and considering subsequent events;
- Testing of data accuracy and completeness through samples from the Group’s information systems and original numerical information received from the Group companies;
Based on the assurance procedures performed, nothing has come to our attention that causes us to believe that the information subject to the limited assurance engagement is not properly prepared, in all material respects, in accordance with the Criteria.
Helsinki, 5 April 2016
KPMG Oy Ab