Tue September 15 12:00 pm 2020 in categories Product news, Company news
Better durability, controlled stability: The new Nokian Hakka Van tire offers convincingly balanced handling and improved durability
The new Nokian Hakka Van tire masters the extreme conditions of the northern summer with skill and durability. Developed for hard and versatile use, the Nokian Hakka Van is precise to drive, stable, and quiet. Regardless of whether you are making every second count doing distribution on the narrow urban streets, battling the razor-sharp gravel of a construction site, or cruising in your RV on country roads riddled with potholes, the Nokian Hakka Van will carry even heavy loads safety and lightly, thereby improving your peace of mind.
Life is made easier for the hard-working professionals and busy vacationers by the balanced handling, even at the new legal speeds of up to 120 km/h, combined with top-class durability. The durability of the new product is maximized thanks to Nokian Tyres’ unique Aramid Sidewall technology that protects against impacts, cuts, and potholes, a sturdy frame structure, and a strong rubber compound that utilizes the latest in compound technology.
The Durable Control & Comfort concept, developed by the world’s northernmost tire manufacturer, allows you to enjoy the harsh, beautiful northern summer safely and reliably. Nokian Hakka Van feels comfortable to drive, and its low rolling resistance also offers fuel savings and reduces harmful carbon dioxide emissions.
Feeling at home on the northern roads, the confident and efficient Nokian Hakka Van is an excellent match for all modern delivery trucks and vans. We offer the market's widest selection of 21 products, from 14 inches all the way up to 18 inches. Speed ratings R (170 km/h), S (180 km/h) T (190 km/h) and H (210 km/h).
Nokian Hakka Van will be available at retailers in spring 2021. The key markets are the same as those of the entire Hakka family, famous for its mastery of the northern summer: the Nordic countries and Russia.
Grip and stability under all conditions
The creation of the sturdy Nokian Hakka Van was especially based on user feedback that called for a durable summer tire to withstand the rough road surfaces and bear the heavy loads. According to Nokian Tyres’ consumer survey, van owners value good wet grip and aquaplaning prevention in addition to high wear resistance.
- Varying summer weather is challenging for the driver and even for high-quality summer tires. The Nokian Hakka Van remains balanced and stable at high speeds on the highways and in bumper-to-bumper urban traffic alike. It is an agile and effortless partner from spring to fall, on gravel or asphalt, and in rain and shine. The needs of our customers meant that we needed to come up with completely new solutions for rubber compounds, says Product Development Manager Mikko Liukkula from Nokian Tyres.
Durable Control & Comfort – durable safety, even when worn
Computer models, thousands of kilometers of testing and use on taxis under real conditions helped us to develop the Durable Control & Comfort concept.The new solutions for rubber compounds, tread model, and structure that ensure durable safety, fuel efficiency, and driving comfort represent the core of Nokian Tyres’ Finnish product development competence.
The tread model , making control easier for heavy, versatile vans, is made stiffer by long, rib-like tread blocks, ensuring calm and stable, passenger car-like steering feel even at higher speeds, during sudden evasions, and while changing lanes. Stone Ejectors on the bottoms of grooves minimize the penetration of sharp stones into the tire.
- The various shapes and sizes of the sipes, or grooves, on the longitudinal rib tread blocks ensure good wet grip and driving comfort by storing water and enabling the controlled lateral movement of the ribs. The transverse grooves store water, effectively displacing it from between the tire and the road surface. The sipe’s contour ensures that the high-performance tire has excellent wet grip, even when worn. The wide main grooves on the tread also reduce the risk of aquaplaning. Special attention has been paid to good handling at higher speeds, as the Finnish legislation now allows vans to use speeds of up to 120 km/h on the expressways, Liukkula says.
Strong and sturdy structure
The steel belt package on top of the sturdy dual body structure features integrated reinforcements, or pocket strips, on the edges of both steel belts. This solution ensures that the steel belts are durable in heavy use and that they can be securely attached to the structure.
The new, more flexible steel belt wire designed for van use both improves structural durability and allows the tire to maintain its state-of-the-art properties even at heavy loads. At the same time, this reduces rolling resistance, which in turn reduces fuel consumption to the benefit of all drivers and also minimizes the detrimental carbon dioxide emissions.
Hakka Van Hybrid tread compound maximizes wet grip and durability
The Nokian Hakka Van’s safety characteristics, durability, and low rolling resistance are guaranteed by the Hakka Van Hybrid tread compound that is fine-tuned for demanding conditions.
Refined for northern roads, the extremely cut-resistant, modern compound ensures exceptional wet grip, allowing the Hakka Van to stop quickly even on rain-slick roads. The tread compound operates reliably across a broad temperature range, adjusts to temperature variations, tolerates hard wear, and further guarantees fuel-efficient operation.
Aramid Sidewall Technology for carefree work and travel
- The tire’s state-of-the-art wear resistance is further ensured by Aramid Sidewall Technology and the Stone Ejectors at the groove roots. Vans and RVs demand a lot from tires. The vehicles are heavy and they are commonly driven fully loaded on poor road surfaces, along gravel roads full of potholes, and over curbs. The Aramid fiber not only protects against accidental tire damage costs, but also ensures that you reach your destination without any unpleasant surprises, Liukkula says, describing the benefits of this unique innovation.
The core of the innovative Aramid Sidewall Technology is the Aramid fiber included in the sidewall compound. The same material is utilized by the aerospace and defense industries. The aramid fiber stiffens and reinforces the sidewall to even better withstand external impacts and cuts, and it may even prevent tire damage completely.
Driving Safety Indicator warns you of the risk of aquaplaning
The sign language patented by Nokian Tyres adds to our products’ safety. The Driving Safety Indicator (DSI) on the center rib clearly indicates the remaining tread depth in millimeters. The disappearing and diminishing water drop symbol indicates an increase in the risk for aquaplaning. When 4 mm of tread depth remains, the time has come to purchase new summer tires.
Correct tire pressure is especially important in commercial driving and under heavy loads. Correct tire pressure improves the driving feel of the car, ensures the structural durability of the tire, and reduces fuel consumption.
Checking the inflation pressure is made simpler by an info field that allows for noting down the correct tire pressure and the location of the tire under the car. Tire changes, which take place twice per year in the Nordic countries, are made easier by the new additional area that can be used to record the tightening torque for the wheel nuts.
Nokian Hakka – unique Northern concept
The Nokian Hakka family of summer tires is tailored for Northern conditions. Uneven and rough road surfaces as well as rapidly changing weather conditions are typical of the north, and they require special features from a tire. We have developed the rubber compounds and structures for our Hakka summer tires to meet the demanding and varying summer conditions. The Hakka summer tires behave predictably across a wide temperature range and tolerate wear as well as the occasionally poor road conditions.
All of the Nokian Hakka summer tires and Hakkapeliitta winter tires are covered by the Hakka Guarantee. If your Nokian Hakka summer tire is damaged beyond repair, our free Hakka Guarantee will provide you with a new tire, free of charge. The Hakka Guarantee is valid to a tread depth of four millimeters and for, at most, one year from the date of purchase. If the tire is damaged while on the road, the Hakka Guarantee roadside assistance service will be dispatched to assist you.
Nokian Hakka Van – Durable safety and comfort
- Stable, balanced, and firm handling in any weather
- Enhanced wet grip and aquaplaning prevention
- Tolerates hard wear - Aramid reinforced sidewalls prevent impacts and cuts
- Low rolling resistance reduces fuel costs and environmental impacts
Durability and efficiency for demanding professional use
- Balanced and precise handling for urban streets and highways, speeds of up to 120 km/h
- State-of-the-art durability, longer service life for heavy-duty use on construction sites, taxi traffic, and goods transport
- Low fuel consumption and carbon dioxide emissions
Safety and driving comfort for RVs
- Stable, safe, and pleasant handling from spring to fall
- Easy to control on wet road, efficient aquaplaning prevention
- Reliable and durable even in demanding terrain, on roads full of potholes and sharp gravel
- Saves fuel and the environment
Durable Control & Comfort concept Durable safety, driving comfort, and fuel efficiency. The new solutions for tread models, rubber compound, and structure create stable, balanced handling in any weather.
The Nokian Hakka Van tread model ensures calm and stable, passenger car-like steering feel even at higher speeds, during sudden evasions, and while changing lanes. The various shapes and sizes of the sipes, or grooves, do their part to ensure good wet grip and driving comfort.
The Hakka Van Hybrid tread compound ensures exceptional wet grip, allowing the Hakka Van to stop quickly even on rain-slick roads. Fine-tuned for demanding conditions, the tread compound adjusts to temperature variations, tolerates hard wear, and further guarantees fuel-efficient operation.
Strong and sturdy structure. The dual body structure and sturdy steel belt package improve durability and allow the tire to retain its state-of-the-art characteristics as the kilometers add up.
Aramid-reinforced sidewalls. Unique protection against impacts, potholes, and cuts. The core of the Aramid Sidewall Technology is the Aramid fiber included in the sidewall compound. The same material is utilized by the aerospace and defense industries. The aramid fiber stiffens and reinforces the sidewall to even better withstand external impacts and cuts, and it may even prevent tire damage completely.
Stone Ejectors. More safety, better durability. Stone Ejectors in the groove roots prevent sharp stones from attaching to the tire’s tread surface and penetrating the tire structure. The stone ejectors improve the tire’s service life and offer additional protection by preventing tire body damage.
The Driving Safety Indicator makes it easier to monitor the tread depth. The numbers on the indicator allow you to check the remaining tread in millimeters. The numbers fade out, one at a time, as the tire wears down. The aquaplaning indicator warns against an increased risk for aquaplaning. The water drop symbol disappears when less than 4 mm of tread depth remains.
Download product images and videos
Nokian Tyres plc,
Product Manager Petri Luoma, tel. +358 (0)10 401 7889
Manager, Content & Product Marketing Teemu Sainio, tel. +358 (0)10 401 7296