Tue January 26 03:30 pm 2021 in category Company news
Nokian Tyres celebrates a record year in safety – ISO 45001 certification to factory in Finland
Nokian Tyres plc Company Release January 26, 2021, 3:30 p.m.
The Nokian Tyres’ Finnish factory has earned ISO 45001 certification for occupational health & safety. The certification has also been awarded to the premier provider of wheels for heavy OE and aftermarket applications, Levypyörä, which Nokian Tyres acquired in 2019. ISO 45001 is a certification which has been created to further reduce workplace injuries and illnesses. The standard was published in 2018 by the International Organization for Standardization.
Along with the certification, Nokian Tyres is proud to announce a record year in safety:
- The Nokian Tyres’ accident frequency dropped to record low: our LTIF* number was 3.7 (2019: 4.3)
- More than 17,000 safety actions were created in 2020. This means that thousands of working hours were used to identify, correct and solve safety hazards.
- In 2020, Levypyörä and Vianor AB celebrated one year without lost-time accidents (accidents leading to absence)
- In January 2021, Nokian Heavy Tyres celebrated a year without lost-time accidents
“What makes me very glad when looking back at 2020, is the fact that with a lot of safety dedication and hard work from all of us, we have made our working environment safer,” says Jukka Rikkinen, Head of Global Safety at Nokian Tyres.
“We will reach continuous improvement by keeping safety in mind and making safety actions every day.”
In 2015, Nokian Tyres set a sustainability target to improve safety at work by 70%. The target was met and exceeded in 2020, as the LTIF number was reduced by 73% (2015: 13.9). The goal for 2021 is to improve safety by decreasing LTIF by 20% compared to 2020.
Nokian Tyres plc
SVP, Investor Relations & Corporate Communications
Requests for further information: Tarja Kuittinen, Corporate Communications Manager, tel. +358 10 401 7912
* LTIF = the number of lost time injuries occurring in a workplace per 1 million hours worked