Corporate philanthropy is our company’s way of giving back to our community locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally. Donating our time, products, services, and money to charities and nonprofits helps us to build trust with our communities, consumers, and other companies as well as to improve our employee engagement.
Our purpose is to empower the world to drive smarter. Nokian Tyres’ approach to philanthropy mirrors its purpose, entrepreneurial and inventive company culture, and sustainable way of doing business. The company does not support any governmental, political, or religious entities. The company offers resources to projects based on the Nokian Tyres’ Philanthropy Approach.
In Finland, we promote tire recycling as the founding member of Finnish Tyre Recycling. Nokian Tyres’ R&D is also involved and supports several research programs, such as PoDoCo, a matchmaking program supporting long term competitiveness and strategic renewal of companies and employment of young doctors in the private sector.
In 2022, Nokian Tyres continued to support the traffic safety education for local school children in Nokia, Finland, and donated books for safety education. The company also offered financial and other support for our Ukrainian employees and donated to humanitarian efforts in Ukraine. Vianor donated to Save the Children, an international advocate of children’s rights, to support low-income families and children at the risk of alienation.
In the US, Nokian Tyres has donations committees in Dayton, Nashville, and Colchester. The company poured itself into the Dayton, Tennessee community, where we provided scholarships to two high-achieving students at the local high school. Other areas of community involvement included:
• Financial and advocacy support of Thrive Regional Partnership, an organization committed to responsible growth through environmental conservation
• Support of a scholarship given during Chattanooga Engineering Week
• Support of a robotics competition at nearby Bryan College
• Support of several local sports teams, including Rhea County High School soccer, softball, anglers and volleyball
• Summer reading program donation to the Rhea County Library
• Advocacy and financial support of the Rhea County Community Center for programs and facilities improvements
• Financial support for local efforts to bolster women in manufacturing
• Support of a hygiene drive through the Dayton Chamber of Commerce
• Provision of Thanksgiving meals through United Way of Rhea County
The strong partnership with POWDR ski resort company continued in 2022 to educate guests and the public about the importance of winter driving safety. Nokian Tyres and POWDR also joined with One Tree Planted to commit to planting 50,000 trees in areas of the United States impacted by